GEORGE HERDMAN LIBRARY, PORT
Christmas Literary Quiz, 2016--Answers
Birds in Literature: can you name them?
1. A farce by Ben Travers. A Cuckoo in the Nest
2. A play by Chekhov. The Seagull
3. A novel by D. H. Lawrence. The White Peacock
4. A children's story by Arthur Ransome. Swallows and Amazons (can also be Pigeon Post)
5. A mystery by Dashiell. Hammett. The Maltese Falcon.
6. An ode by John Keats. Ode to a Nightingale.
7. An opera by Rossini. The Thieving Magpie.
8. A poem by Edgar Allan Poe. The Raven.
9. A children's book by Aldous Huxley. The Crows of Pear Blossom.
10. A novel by Rumer Godden. An Episode of Sparrows (can also be The Peacock Spring)
11. Hamlet said he knew it from a handsaw. A Hawk. (2:2)
12. Transported Sinbad to the
13. Sang to a small guitar. The Owl (The Owl and the Pussycat-Edward Lear)
Skeletal Plot Outlines: name the work?
14. A young woman inherits a farm, is loved by her bailiff, a neighbour, and a soldier. She marries the soldier, gets engaged to the neighbour, and finally marries the bailiff.
Far from the Madding Crowd-Thomas Hardy. .
15. A titled lady falls for a handsome young officer, leaves her family, but when the affair wanes, throws herself under a train. Anna Karenina-Leo Tolstoy
16. Two tramps talk of the cold, damp and pain of their lives, and are visited daily by a messenger who tells them that their friend will arrive tomorrow, although he never does.
Waiting For Godot-Samuel Beckett
Shakespeare generously provided these titles: can you name the author of the work involved, and identify the original from which it has been lifted?
17. This Happy Breed Noel Coward--King Richard II (2:1)
18. Dear Brutus J.M.Barrie--(Julius Caesar (1:2)
20. Under the
21. Twice Told Tales Nathaniel Hawthorne--King John (3:4)
22. Brave New World Aldous Huxley--The Tempest (5:1)
23. Cakes and Ale W.Somerset Maugham--Twelfth Night (2:3)
24. The Darling Buds of May H.E.Bates--Sonnet 18
25. The Seeds of Time John Wyndham--MacBeth (1.3)
26. Can Such Things Be? Ambrose Bierce--MacBeth (3:4)
And just to finish off!
27. Which of the Bennet girls married Bingley? Jane (Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austin)
28. A book of verse, a loaf of bread, and a woman beside him singing-what is missing? A Jug/Flask of Wine (The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam)
29. Albus Dumbledore had both a brother and a sister. Can you name either of them? Aberforth or Ariana (Harry Potter--various)
30. Who said, 'Let's fight till six, and then have dinner.'? Tweedledum (Through the Looking Glass--Lewis Carroll)
31. Who was Barkis willing to marry? (Clara) Peggotty (David Copperfield--Charles Dickens)
Of the entrants, there were two tying with the highest marks of 30 out of 31, Mrs. P. Burgess, and Ms. R. Richardson. Thanks are due to all those who participated or otherwise showed an interest in this venture. Any comments, welcome or otherwise, can be dropped in at the Library, and will be duly passed on. Copies of this sheet, if required should be downloadable (hopefully) at <http://www.gellion.com/library2016.html>.